Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Strange cinema incoming!

All sorts of great movies are hitting theaters this fall; I just want to quickly mention two of the strangest, most ambitious projects that have caught my eye.

The first one is 'Black Swan,' the latest film by Darren Aronofsky who is one of the most unique voices working in film today.   His 2008 film 'The Wrestler' famously catapulted Mickey Rourke back into the public eye.  Aronofsky's films are emotionally vivid and honest.  They seem to come from that part of the human psyche that most of us prefer to ignore.  'Black Swan' is a psychological thriller about two young ballet dancers (Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis) competing for the lead in a new production of Swan Lake.  Aronofsky has been working on the project since 2000 and has compared the tone to 'Rosemary's Baby.'  It does look frightening.




Click here to view trailer in Quicktime HD





The second film I want to bring to your attention is Jasper Noé's 'Enter The Void.'  I have not seen any of Noé's other films but I'm told that they are expertly crafted though at times difficult to watch.  His latest work is a "psychedelic melodrama" about the ghost of a young drug addict who wonders the streets of Tokyo watching over his sister.   The first images I saw reminded me of 'Blade Runner.'  I, of course, cannot speak to the quality of the actual film but the trailer is frightening, beautiful and touching.



Click here to view trailer in Quicktime HD

No comments:

Post a Comment